Closing the Loop
Cedar Grove is an environmental solutions company.
We harness the vitality of organic waste by recycling it into innovative products. In doing so, we energize cities, businesses and citizens to be a force for good by coming full circle with their organic waste.
1. We’ve helped to increase urban recycling in the greater Seattle area.
2. We’re decreasing the amount organic waste that goes into landfills.
3. We’re developing ways to generate renewable energy from organic waste.
4. The products we make improve air, soil and water quality.
In 1988, the City of Seattle came to us and asked for our help in recycling the organic yard waste collected curbside. We jumped at the opportunity. Having been in the waste management and recycling business since 1938, we knew it was the last frontier of recycling. We felt a sense of obligation to our city, our business, and of course, the environment.
Since then, we’ve made huge strides in organic recycling—as a company and as a region. In 2004, we started accepting food waste.
Here are two impressive statistics:
1) In 2009 the amount of food scraps recycled by Seattle residents increased by 47 percent thanks to new weekly collection contracts and extraordinary customer participation.
2) This puts Seattle’s recycling of food waste at approximately 10 times the national average.